A window air conditioner is an essential machine for those people who live in multi-storied buildings. They need more fresh and cool air to keep the environment of their home comfortable and suitable for breathing. But with the use of a window air conditioner, there comes the matter of cleaning it.
If you are a new user of a window air conditioner, then you may have a query about How to Clean a Window Air Conditioner Without Removing It. Well, here I will explain to you the step-by-step cleaning process of a window air conditioner. You just keep reading to learn more.
How Often Should You Clean Your Window Air Conditioner?
A window air conditioner is one of the most expensive home appliances. So, it is essential to clean and maintain it regularly. The most crucial time to clean your window AC is when you will take it out from the cupboard or case during the Summer.
In the season of summer, dust, dirt, and mold can be stuck on your air conditioner. Once you clean it in the summer, then it will need a quick check-up every one or two months, and it depends on how much you are using it.
What You’ll Need to Clean Window Air Conditioner Without Removing it
To clean your window air conditioning units, you will need cleansing products or elements. Here is a list of cleaning products to clean your AC-
- A bucket or a sink of warm and soapy water or bleach mixed water to soak the filter of your AC.
- A vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle to remove the dust from the AC.
- A damp and old cloth to wipe the extra dirt from the AC units.
- A soft brush or sponge to wipe the extra water.
- A spray bottle filled with warm and soapy water or hydrogen peroxide.
- A pair of hand gloves to protect your hands from sharp fins.
- An old sheet or newspaper to protect your carpet and floor from damage.
- A screwdriver to remove the small screws.
- Fin comb if the coil needs straightening.
- Face mask to avoid inhaling the dust.
- Safety goggles to prevent dust and other things from entering your eyes.
How to Clean a Window Air Conditioner Without Removing It
The purpose of writing this guideline is to show you how to clean a window air conditioner without removing it. Here I have included a step-by-step cleaning process of a window AC. So, let’s see the cleaning process.
Step 1: Disconnect the AC
Before you start the cleaning process, you should disconnect the AC from the wall if you don’t want to get electrocuted. So, plug out your window AC from the wall to clear it properly.
Step 2: Remove Air conditioner Filter
Take off the grill of your air conditioner unit and locate the filter on the right side behind the front panel of your air conditioner. Remove the filter by following the user’s manual of your AC because the removing process of the filter depends on the AC model. Now soak the filter into the bucket of soapy water and let it air dry.
Step 3: Remove the AC Front Panel
In this step, use a screwdriver to remove the front panel of your AC. Usually, the front panel of the AC holds the interior components like the drain pan. In this section, all the dust and mold can accumulate. You can soak the removable parts in hot water to clean them.
Step 4: Clean the Inside Parts
Use a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to vacuum the dust from the internal parts. After that, spray bleach or dish detergent mixed water, and wipe the parts with a dry towel. You can use a fin comb to clean the fins area and make sure the fins are straight.
Step 5: Clean the Condenser Coils
Take off the backside covering of the unit because here, you will find condenser coils. Now spray the soapy water or hydrogen peroxide mixed water to clean them. You can also use a hose to clean it, but detergent mixed water is more effective. After cleaning, let the area dry completely.
Step 6: Reassemble and Reinstall the AC
While reassembling, make sure that all the parts of your window AC are dry. Now put all the parts back on the AC. You can take the help of the user’s manual to reinstall the AC.
If you have a ventless Air Conditioner, then you can apply some steps from this cleaning process.
Benefits of Cleaning a Window Air Conditioner without Removing It
Like other home appliances, your AC can get dirty, and the filter can clog up. Having a clean air conditioner can satisfy you with lots of benefits.
- After proper cleaning, your air conditioner will run more efficiently and smoothly.
- If your AC is well cleaned, you will get clean air without having respiratory issues like asthma and allergies.
- You will get the smell or odor-free fresh air with a clean air conditioner.
- A cleaned AC will use less energy, and it will decrease the energy bills.
- If you do seasonal cleaning of your AC, then it will last for longer.
A window air conditioner is an essential home appliance that keeps your room cool. However, just like other appliances, maintenance, and proper cleaning is necessary. As outlined above, you can clean your window air conditioner without removing it from the window.
If you are having issues with how to clean a window air conditioner without removing it, then you can read this guideline to clean your AC in a proper way. This quick guide will help you to clean your window AC.